Monday, February 13, 2023

Casual year list 2023: first 100

I have long kept detailed notes on my nature and bird observations, but never a formal bird life or year list. For 2023, I decided to keep a year list of (UK) birds observed. I thought it would be interesting to note exactly how many bird species I encounter through my daily routine and walks, and the dates first observed. In the last few years, I have sadly noted much more marked declines in the natural world so it feels more pertinent than ever to gather observations and data in any form.

On the 5th of February, I reached 100 confirmed bird species observed for 2023. To be listed, the bird must be knowingly observed. My list is chronological, but not specifically numbered in the precise order of observation.

 
 
First bird observed in 2023: Buzzard (seen landing in this tree at dawn 01/01/2023).

 

In no particular order, some of the other 99 bird species I've observed so far this year:


 
Sanderling
 
 
 
 
Lapwing


 
Mute swan


Lesser redpoll


 
Barn owl


 
Wigeon


 
Black-tailed Godwit


 
 Pheasant
 
 
 
Black-headed gull, Common gull
 
 
 
 
Common Crane


 
Linnet

 

 
Blue tit, Long-tailed tit

 

 
Golden plover


Shelduck, Teal, Curlew


 
Shorelark


 
Oystercatcher, Herring gull, Dunlin, Bar-tailed Godwit


 
My 100th bird species for 2023: Russian White-fronted Goose.

 

Birds heard but not yet counted:

Cetti's warbler

Green woodpecker

Bearded tit


 I am enjoying keeping a list more than I expected, so I've given myself a target: 150 bird species seen in the UK in 2023.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 2024 Quick Roundup

September Quick Roundup           Mallards' retreat                 Cromer         View from the Theatre Royal, Norwich                 ...