Saturday, February 18, 2023

First seedling of 2023: apple!

For last years planting, I potted a variety of tree seeds and nuts: cherry, apple, pear, beech, sweet chestnut (and two sets of rosehips).

Today, the first sprout has emerged: apple!

Last autumn, Blickling estate offered some of their walled garden produce for a discretionary donation:

 Blickling walled garden produce

 
Blickling, Autumn 2022


Blickling, Autumn 2022
 
I took advantage of the apples (4 varieties to sample), cooking pears and some squashes
With the pears, I made crumble. I saved some of the seeds and apple pips and potted them.
 
Pear (left) and apple (right). Potted November 2022


Now three months later...


 
The first sprout to emerge: apple!

I am looking forward to seeing how this sprout develops, and how soon the next will appear.
In previous years, I have grown cherry, hawthorn, blackthorn, elder, silver birch and oak. It is fascinating seeing how these trees make their starts.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 2024 Quick Roundup

September Quick Roundup           Mallards' retreat                 Cromer         View from the Theatre Royal, Norwich                 ...